Local Church Historians
It is recommended that every church have a historian to preserve the history of the church. There may also be a Committee on Records and History to assist the historian.
The duties of the historian are listed in ¶247.5 of the 2008 Book of Discipline.
A number of resources are available to assist the historian:
- Church Historian: Remembering the Past and Inspiring the Future, a booklet in the 2009-2012 Guidelines series, is a comprehensive guide for local church historians, which also contains a resource list. It is available from Cokesbury for $2.95.
- The website of the General Commission, www.gcah.org, has an excellent section for local church historians, under Ministry Resources.
- A video, Memory and Ministry: Caring for Your Church’s Heritage, is available on loan from the Heritage Center.
- The Commission on Archives and History offers workshops for local church historians. Contact the representative from your district about setting one up. See Commission Members.
- The Commission can also provide suggestions for records management, preservation, writing of history, and celebrations.
- Archival supplies are available from the following companies. Contact them for a free catalog or to order on line.
Gaylord www.gaylord.com 1-800-448-6160
University Products www.universityproducts.com 1-800-628-1912
Hollinger Metal Edge www.hollingermetaledge.com 1-800-862-2228 or 1-800-634-0491
Light Impressions www.lightimpressionsdirect.com 1-800-828-6212